In this episode, Shellee and Sidra discuss:
- The fear around homeschooling and how it works
- Finding a community in your area to support homeschooling
- Parents must find a routine that works for them and their child
- You can offer your child many learning opportunities compared to other school options by homeschooling them. However, educational freedom comes with added responsibilities, so it is important to find out whether your state is supportive of homeschooling by looking at its laws and its policies.
- Some states offer the possibility of still partnering with the schools and still being involved in things like music, arts, or sports, where homeschoolers can still be involved in the school system, not just academic education. The key is to find resources in your community that will support you and help your child prepare for adulthood while making the transition to homeschooling work.
- Homeschooling is a major lifestyle change, so finding the routine that works really well for both you as a parent and your child, as well as curriculum and resources that also match their learning style, is vital before making an informed decision on whether or not to homeschool them.
“It really is doable (homeschooling) because you don’t have to do everything. You don’t have to be the teacher, you’re really more of a curator, as the homeschool parent where you’re finding resources for them.” — Sidra Morris
About Sidra Morris: Sidra has spent years as a co-founder of Knox Academy witnessing children’s enthusiasm for learning and confidence in their abilities blossom in the Knox Academy environment. This one-of-a-kind environment, along with the community of parent support, is her favorite aspect of being both a mother of students and a founder. Sidra co-founded Knox Learning, which focuses on how to create a Knox Academy learning environment at home and supports parents in the process, in addition to supporting Link Education League.
Connect with Sidra Morris:
Connect with Shellee Howard:
Show notes by Podcastologist: Angelica Rayco.
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.