In this episode, Shellee and Ann discuss:
- The cornerstones of effective parenting
- The best time to start planning for college
- Disentangling yourself from your child
- Creating a safe space for your child to talk
- Keeping boundaries and leadership can be more effectively achieved through authoritative parenting styles – children need their parents to be leaders and be the grown-ups while also feeling connected and safe and being cared for.
- It’s a lot to process what the college list looks like so make sure you are there to support your children. It’s never too late to get involved with your kids.
- Take the time to disentangle yourself from your children while they try to figure out how to deal with the challenges that they have and fix their brokenness. It is not your job as a parent to fix your kids.
- Kids find it hard to say no to adults or their parents, and if we don’t do everything we can on our end to create a safe space for them to discuss, they will just keep saying yes when they don’t feel the motivation or the drive that they’re expressing.
About Ann Kaplan: Ann has 4 kids of her own and has lived the dream and difficulty of parenting through every childhood stage, from infancy through adolescence.
She is also a Love&Logic (TM) independent facilitator and a life coach. Anne has a unique holistic approach to parent work which includes emotional support, home management skills, and effective discipline.
Connect with Ann Kaplan:
Connect with Shellee Howard:
Show notes by Podcastologist: Angelica Rayco.
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.