In this episode, Shellee and Moira discuss:
- The best time for students to start thinking about college
- What students consider when choosing colleges
- How to pick your college list
- Knowing your resources as a parent
- Make sure your child is involved in the college planning process. There is so much to learn just by watching and supporting them.
- The college search is often an independent choice for students, but as parents, you need to guide them in choosing which colleges to apply to, choosing the best school for them, and knowing whether their choice is right.
- Picking a college list begins with looking at local schools. Allow your child to explore the new environment and become familiar with it – putting them in the driver’s seat will create a completely different outcome.
- Know your resources. Bringing all of this to their doorstep will allow them to feel more confident and apparent.
“We want a wide range of diverse students from all different aspects of campus life, so that they could share their stories in a way that will resonate with somebody out there watching that video, reading that information on an interactive guide, or reading it in a particular social media piece that we put out.” — Moira McCullough
About Moira McCullough: After successfully raising a family and working as a technology consultant at PriceWaterhouseCoopers in NYC and London, Moira drew upon her wide-ranging experiences to create a comprehensive platform to help families and students have the best college experience, whether they are applying to, attending, or graduating from college.
As an avid open water swimmer, Moira has competed in the Alcatraz Swim, Little Red LightHouse NYC Swim (10km), Swim Around the Sound (Bermuda), Statue of Liberty Sharkfest Swim, Swim Across the Sound Relay Event (25 km from NY-CT), and an independent swim from Cape Cod to Martha’s Vineyard.
Moira earned her M.B.A. from Columbia Business School and a B.A. from Fairfield University. In the course of raising three children, Moira was an active volunteer for Newark Academy (Executive Board Member, Treasurer, and Athletic Liaison), Parent Liaison for The Island School, Tutor for KIPP, and a New Jersey Certified Swimming Official.
College Scoops is dedicated to delivering best in class, authentic student-generated content about life on campus and the surrounding area. Our focus is on the “social fit,” and this allows us to give unique perspectives—not from college admissions departments, but from current college students to answer the question, “What’s it like to attend this college?” College Scoops is the only resource of its kind, sourced by students, for students.
Connect with Moira McCullough:
Connect with Shellee Howard:
Show notes by Podcastologist: Angelica Rayco.
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.