In this episode, Shellee and Alan discuss:
- Taking advantage of social media
- Presenting yourself online to get into college
- Perfecting your LinkedIn profile
- Social media can be extremely beneficial during the college admissions process. Take advantage of its benefits, and present yourself online while exercising discretion with your social media accounts.
- Colleges are now looking at students’ online profiles when considering admissions applications, and Linkedin is an excellent supplement or complement to their college application because it allows them to delve deeper into presenting themselves.
- Turn your LinkedIn profile into a portfolio that includes samples of your work and promotes good aspects of you, your activities, and your interests. This adds dimension to your application and may help you in getting scholarships.
“Do not fear social media, learn about it, and there is probably not one high school student who could not benefit from getting on LinkedIn.” — Alan Katzman
About Alan Katzman: Alan is a pioneer in developing and advocating techniques to teach students how to use social media. He is the founder and CEO of Social Assurity, a leading social media educator and pragmatic strategist which helps teams build a compelling and reflective digital presence as a game-changing tool for creating academic and career success. A sought-after speaker for high school students, parents, and educational professionals frequently participating in education-related events nationwide. Elon has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, ABC News, NPR, USA Today Forbes, and Business Insider.
Alan made his foray into social media education with the launch of a socialist charity in 2013 and has licensed its social media courseware to thousands of students nationwide. Before forming Social Assurity, he served as an executive legal counsel for several startups and fortune 500 technology companies, where he managed the law compliance and administrative functions.
Alan received his BA from the University of Albany and his JD from Albany Law School.
Connect with Alan Katzman:
Websites: socialassurity.university (Company Website)
socialassurity.work/ (Company Website)
Connect with Shellee Howard:
Show notes by Podcastologist: Angelica Rayco.
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.