In this episode, Shellee and Annie discuss:
- Staying in conversation is key.
- The beauty of travel conversations
- Finding a scholarship
- There’s nothing that can’t be accomplished when parenting teenagers, you just need to keep in constant communication with them, keep tabs on them, and respect their time as well as their concerns and plans.
- College is best chosen when you talk to your teen about it from an early age. Visit colleges and take them on tours – it’s an opportunity to talk to them as a family about your experiences or what you would like to experience in college.
- Find out what information you need by talking to college counselors or by logging into high school portals. Increasing your search options will always increase your chances of finding a scholarship.
“If you do nothing else, just start having conversations with your kids. I think we don’t give teens enough credit for what they already are thinking about and we don’t listen enough… so put your ears open and put your phone down – that’s really truly how you’re gonna get your kids out the door successfully. ” — Melanie Studer
About Melanie Studer: Melanie is a wife, a mom, an educator, a speaker, and a parenting mentor. Her blog Parenting High Schoolers shares advice and ideas encouraging common sense to prepare teens for college and/or the real world.
Connect with Melanie:
Connect with Shellee Howard:
Show notes by Podcastologist: Angelica Rayco.
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.