In this episode, Shellee and Andrea discuss:
- Andrea’s passion for making a difference in young people’s lives
- The National Student Leadership Conference (NSLC)
- The truth about participating in summer enrichment programs
- Encourage your child to express their opinions and recognize their individuality. Young people today, more than ever, need to feel that they are important, that their voices and identities are valued.
- Sign your child up for a summer enrichment program. This will give them ideas about what it’s like to be in college, as well as the skills and potential needed to make those important college decisions and realize how they want to contribute their gifts to the world.
- Teens feel included and gain trust and confidence in themselves only when they are facilitated in small groups where they are well supervised and their individual potentials are recognized.
- No summer program, no matter how good it is, will get students into a highly selective university, but it will help them write more compelling essays and incorporate their experiences into who they are as individuals.
“I think the benefit of attending any summer enrichment program is it allows students wherever they are to come out of their comfort zone and to experience something new.” — Andrea Maldonado
About Andrea Maldonado: Andrea is the Director of International Admissions and Director of Educator Relations. She did her undergraduate studies at Colgate University. She served as a teaching fellow for America corpse in Texas. After receiving her doctorate degree in Anthropology from Brown University in 2014, she joined the National Student Leadership Conference (NSLC) full-time as the founder and director of international and overseas admissions. Here she has worked with hundreds of schools across the globe to promote life-changing leadership experiences at conferences, to outstanding middle and high school students.
Dr. Dre was born in Mexico, raised in South Florida, and currently lives in Chicago. Regardless of where she is in the world, her mission is the same. She is driven to make a positive difference in the lives of young people helping them to discover and share who they are with others.
Connect with Andrea Maldonado:
Connect with Shellee Howard:
Show notes by Podcastologist: Angelica Rayco.
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.