In this episode, Shellee and Mary Kate discuss:
- The importance of college essays in the admissions process
- Writing your college admissions essay
- The value of having a college essay editor
- There is no guarantee that you will get into a top-notch school just because you have a high GPA. There is more to the admissions office’s decision than just your grades and extracurricular activities; they are looking for an essay that truly reflects who you are, and a great essay can help set you apart from the other applicants.
- Do not let your parents or anyone else get in the way of presenting yourself in your college admissions essay. Trust your own choices – nothing beats being able to tell your own story and what’s truly important to you by using your own voice and values. Authenticity is key.
- There’s nothing wrong with having another set of eyes look over your essays. If possible, hire a college essay editor to help you increase your chances of being accepted into your dream school.
“Try to bulk up your conclusion or point yourself towards the future. Sometimes the endings can just be solid on their own” — Mary Kate Hampton
About Mary Kate Hampton: Mary Kate’s Master’s degrees are in Writing, Literature, Publishing, and English Education. After working in publishers in Boston and New York, she began a teaching career in New York City. Mary Kate moved back to the West Coast and started tutoring high school and college students.
College essays soon became a favorite subject. As a mom of four, she settled in San Diego and started at College Ready. In addition to a passion for education, she’s the lead writer for a local magazine and a volunteer for Villanova University’s alumni recruitment network.
Connect with Mary Kate Hampton:
Connect with Shellee Howard:
Show notes by Podcastologist: Angelica Rayco.
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.