Shellee and Eric discuss:
– Financial literacy is not taught in school and young adults don’t understand the concept of how much the cost of living is.
– It is hard to teach kids the concept of earning and saving money.
– Things you can do as a parent to help your child be prepared to manage money.
– Do you go to a school you really want to go to or a school where you received a big scholarship?
– If you sacrifice your own retirement to send your teen to college, you are not doing them any favors.
– Understand your Return On Investment when choosing a college.
“You can afford to do almost anything, but not everything in this life.”- Eric Brotman
Eric D. Brotman, CFP, AEP, CPWA is a financial advisor, wealth manager, mentor, and host of the podcast Don’t Retire…Graduate! As CEO of BFG Financial Advisors, he has been advising his clients on investing, risk management, retirement, and financial planning for over 25 years. Eric believes that financial literacy is the key to well-being and is on a mission to help families and professionals achieve financial freedom. As part of his mission, he has served as an adjunct faculty member at Stevenson University, teaching the Certified Financial Planner curriculum to graduate students. In addition, he is serving on the Board of Trustees for the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System as an appointee of Governor Larry Hogan and he has testified before the Maryland Senate in favor of financial literacy education. Eric’s approachable and actionable financial advice has been featured on Baltimore WBAL’s 11 News Sunday Morning, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes.com, Yahoo! Finance, The Baltimore Sun, Baltimore Business Journal, Investment Advisor, Fidelity Investor’s Weekly, and numerous other publications. His podcast, Don’t Retire…Graduate!, is dedicated to inspiring individuals to advance into retirement seamlessly. Eric is the author of several books on personal finance, including Retire Wealthy: The Tools You Need to Help Build Lasting Wealth, Debt-Free for Life: The Tools You Need to Free Yourself from Debt, and Pay Less Taxes Now! Four Strategies to Help Reduce Your Income Taxes Legally, which can be downloaded for free at https://www.lowtaxbook.com. Eric is an avid traveler who calls Lutherville, Maryland home. He plans to “graduate” to living on the beach but hopes to never retire in the traditional sense. You can learn more about Eric at https://www.bfgfa.com or about the Don’t Retire…Graduate! podcast at https://www.brotmanmedia.com
Connect with Eric:
Connect with Shellee Howard: